Ok, actually this recipe is more of a skillet mash but the title sounds good, doesn’t it?
Here’s the super easy ingredient run down:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground meat, chopped chicken or canned fish
I can’t wait to try this with salmon or tuna.
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 can mostly drained black beans – or pinto beans, or kidney beans. Basically any beans you have in the cupboard.
You will also want to have on hand some cooked rice, tortilla chips, or your favorite taco shells as well as whatever toppings you like.
Seven simple steps:
- Warm the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions for three to five minutes.
- Add the meat, garlic and lime juice.
- Mix meat, onion and spices well.
- Cook for five minutes, stirring as needed.
- Combine beans with mixture in skillet.
- Let simmer until meat is cooked thoroughly and beans are nicely warmed, about five to seven minutes.
Now you’re ready to serve this delicious mash over rice, in tacos, or with your favorite chips. Pasta might even be a fun variation.
That’s all it takes — some measuring, a little chopping and about fifteen or twenty minutes of cooking.
The nice thing about this recipe is that it can serve as a base for a meal with family members who have differing taste preferences. Just let each person add fun toppings like cheese, salsa, hummus, guacamole or hot sauce and everyone will be happy and well-fed.